Monday 21 September 2009

BOÎTES DE BIJOUX MAGNIFIQUES . . .

Well, I've just been writing the descriptions for our new jewellery box selection today, and I'm more impressed with them now than I was last week. They are very posh . . . and looking through the suppliers catalogue, so are the others, especially the wooded ones.

The one I have sitting in front of me now - the next one on my description list - consists of four large drawers at the front, working from the bottom up, and then when you lift the lid you have numerous sections on top. The sides then open up outwards providing you space to hang necklaces, and - AND - it also comes with a travel box that sits perfectly in one of the top trays under the lid. This is a handy little box, with rolls where you can keep your rings, and other little compartments to keep your presious's when travelling. It's HUGE, but GORGEOUS!

However, upon researching jewellery boxes in hopes for some inspiration for their description, I discovered that these boxes have nothing on the boxes that were given to Queen Marie Antoinette in during the 1700's. (Yes, by squinting at the picture below, you can actually see a door!! It's that big.)

Jewellery boxes were originally supposed to be designed to look and appear grand as these, as well as their contents, were usually one of the first things to be inherited and passed down to generations. Antoinette's were of no exception when she had her final meeting with the guillotine. One now sits on display at Windsor, and the other at Versailles. I have no doubt that the grand design of these boxes were, during their day, literally fit for a queen, but today, I don't think I'd want one sitting in my bedroom. I'll quite happily settle for one of ours . . .

. . . And I'll quiet happily buy more jewellery just to fill it. Remember, Christmas is just round the corner, and so is my birthday (hint-hint) . . .

D. Ilott
Cybercheckout
Gridstop Ltd

No comments: