Friday 30 October 2009

Halloween Special . . .

The unexpected darkness came suddenly. It stole away the sight of the office before me. The desks in front were engulfed, the monitors vanishing. I felt blind and paralysed with fear, but it wasn't the blindness that frightened me. It was the silence that came with it. Shrinking in my seat, my eyes glared from left to right, patiently waiting for them to adjust. Gradually the monitors came back into view, looking like hazy ghosts in the shadows, and the whole office began to reappear. I knew it was the same room, but everything looked and felt so very different without the lights on. Why had I offered to work late tonight?

Taking a deep breath, I stood from my seat. Was this a general power cut, or was there a problem in the building? I knew I should have walked to window to peer into the darkness outside, but fear prevented me from doing so. I was alone. Cursing myself for being so stupid, I forced myself to step away from my desk, and cautiously walked to the window. Parting the blinds I looked out to see the street lights glowing bright orange outside. The problem definitely came from within.

Well, that's it, I thought to myself. There was no point hanging around waiting for the electric to turn itself back on, and I couldn't do anymore work without it. Maybe it was time to call it a night and go home. Turning from the window, I walked through the darkness back to my desk to grab my belongings. The car park downstairs called for me, and I couldn't wait to be out there. The feeling in here was just too eerie for my liking.

As I began to make my way towards the exit, a suddenly noise brought me to a stop. My heart pounded frantically in my chest as my ears strained to listen. I stood in the middle of the office, feeling vulnerable and terrified. Could it be the electrics turning back on? I waiting for the buzz of life, but it didn't come.

The noise did, though. Heavy breathing and coming from around the door area - the area I needed to pass in order to leave. Someone was here with me. Controlling my breathing, trying to be as silent as possible, I stared in the direction the breathing came from. How had someone managed to get in while I was here? I hadn't heard anyone come up.

Feeling extremely frightened, I stepped back, intending to go back to my desk. I had no idea what I was to do - hide, maybe - but just as I turned I heard the click of electricity. The office buzzed back to life, filling my wide eyes with sudden light - and the horrific image of the figure that stood behind me. I screamed.

It was Andrew . . .

May the spirits of All-Hallows Eve come out and play tonight . . .

Happy Halloween.




D. Ilott
Cybercheckout
Gridstop ltd

No comments: