Wednesday 28 October 2009

Looking After Nature . . .

I don't know about anyone else out there, but I'm quite fond of nature - all creatures great and small, and all that (except spiders) - and this quality does come in handy when you live in a small village. It's kind of hard to get away from it. It was one of those things that was drummed into me as a child, growing up within a small menagerie. My dad used to like birds. He still does, and still owns a parrot that he brought his mum when he was 17 (did you know parrots can live to be about 150 years old when kept in captivity, and still give a bone-crunching bite? I'll probably end up inheriting him). Because of this, I'm quite familiar with a lot of wild birds. I can tell the difference between a Great Tit and a Blue Tit, or a Crow and Rook, and so on and so forth.

And yes, during the winter I am partial to buy some wild bird food and put it out in the garden for them. During the summer, I don't do it as often. There is plenty of food for them to survive off, and it helps to encourage the young birds to hunt and forage for themselves, but during the winter food can become scarce. It's always nice to give them a little helping hand.

Up and coming to our stock, and soon to grace our website, are some fantastic bird stations. They can hold numerous bird feeders and trays for water, and are rather attractive in their designs too. They'll make a lovely addition to your garden, and if you like sitting back and watching the birds, then this will encourage them to flock back time and time again, as long as they know it's where they can find a reliable source of food and water. They'll love it.

And another thing I've always liked is seeing their little footprints in the snow . . . sweet . . .

D. Ilott
Cybercheckout
Gridstop Ltd

No comments: