Wednesday 15 July 2009

Her Majesty's Royal Cucumber Sandwiches . . .


I've always been one for the monarchy, despite what many people out there think. I just love the history that comes with it all, both British and European. It's provided creatives all over with recipes for romantic tales, horrific tales, and stories of tradegy and triumph. The horror writer in me is continuously drawn to such legends as the Countess Elizabeth Bathory, the supposed connection between Jack the Ripper and Queen Victoria, and some of the darker, brutal ways the hierarchy dealt with crime and treason. I find it all fascinating.

Luckily today things are more humane, and the Queen even hosts tea parties with cucumber sandwiches in her gardens at Buckingham Palace. But these are by invitation only. To receive an invite you need to be a very lucky, privilaged person with whom the Queen herself deems suitable to grace her with your prescence.

So imagine my surprise when I hear that two people I know have been invited to one on this coming Tuesday. The first is my mother-in-law and her partner, who when they received their invites, couldn't wait to show everyone. They've contributed to a lot of charity work over the past, and it's about time a greater appreciation was shown.

And the second is our very own Farva - Pete Redstone, and his wife. He, too, has contributed towards a lot of charity work, and being a Councillor, has dedicated alot of his time and effort to the good of his community. Obviously he is looked upon as a person of great importance, and someone who will like cucumber sandwiches. In the office, nothing much changes. He is respected and loved by everyone here, but I have to say I think he prefers burnt toast as opposed to cucumber sandwiches.

So, you never know, Gridstop Ltd, aka, Cybercheckout, may receive the Royal Seal of Approval. Either that or we'll all find ourselves being publically beheaded. But on a more serious note, I just hope Farva doesn't develop that royal wave.

PS: Should my in-laws and boss meet over a cucumber sandwich and a china mug of tea, I just want to say "It's not true! It wasn't me! And I am sweet and innocent!"

D.Ilott
Cybercheckout

No comments: